The Vancouver Hackspace is a non-profit, volunteer run community workshop, where members can meet and work on projects.
What does that mean exactly ? Well, in short:
- We have no paid staff
- Directors are volunteers, and are elected by the membership to handle the adulting
- All the tools and spaces are maintained by their users
- Monthly dues are low as they only have to cover the costs of using the building
- All our tools are available to members, though some (mostly the cool and dangerous ones) require a safety orientation or training course first.
*currently suspended due to the pandemic*
Come to our open nights and check us out! We are open to the public every Tuesday night, from 7:30PM-10:30PM-ish, other days as per the calendar.
Joining the Hackspace:
- Membership has a surprisingly reasonable monthly fee
- To make sure there is always someone around to help while you get to know the space and its tools there is a two month “getting to know you” period where you can use the space during member open hours
- After the getting to know you period, you can apply for keyholder status and get 24/7 access to the space for the same low fee!
- There are no mandatory volunteer hours, though volunteering is encouraged
- You can sign up here
What Makes VHS Awesome.
See the letters of support for what our community thinks makes us great!
Space: ~4000 sq/ft
Founded: August 2008
How to Get Here
In January of 2019 VHS relocated to 1601 Venables St, at the corner of Woodland Dr. We are located at the root of Commercial Drive, a two minute walk from two different bus routes. Street parking is plentiful. Our main entrance is the front door on Venables Street.